Sunday, September 7, 2014

(Review) The Winter People by Rebekah L. Purdy

 
 
Title: The Winter People
Author: Rebekah L. Purdy
Pages: 320
Published: September 02, 2014
PublisherEntangled: Teen
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
I love the cover image!
Synopsis:
Salome Montgomery fears winter—the cold, the snow, the ice, but most of all, the frozen pond she fell through as a child. Haunted by the voices and images of the strange beings that pulled her to safety, she hasn't forgotten their warning to "stay away." For eleven years, she has avoided the winter woods, the pond, and the darkness that lurks nearby. But when failing health takes her grandparents to Arizona, she is left in charge of maintaining their estate. This includes the "special gifts" that must be left at the back of the property.

Salome discovers she’s a key player in a world she’s tried for years to avoid. At the center of this world is the strange and beautiful Nevin, who she finds trespassing on her family’s property. Cursed with dark secrets and knowledge of the creatures in the woods, his interactions with Salome take her life in a new direction. A direction where she'll have to decide between her longtime crush Colton, who could cure her fear of winter. Or Nevin who, along with an appointed bodyguard, Gareth, protects her from the darkness that swirls in the snowy backdrop. An evil that, given the chance, will kill her.

Cover:
OMG, the cover is so beautiful! It fits the story and the font is incredibly.

Title:
Yes, it is all about winter and snow!

Writing style:
The writing style was good, even captivating. There is a lot of mystery and suspense in it. The author also created a wonderful and unique world.
Honestly, it was the only thing that kept me reading, because I really had a problem with the protagonist.

Characters:
Yes, the characters... lets start with Salome, because unfortunately she ruined the whole story for me. This girl completely lacks independence! There always needs to be someone to safe her. Really?! She is supposed to be some kind of hero for the reader. And I HATE love triangles so you could almost hear me screaming when I figured out, that this story contains a love "quadrangle"!!! The boys are okay, but stereotype.
So, I basically just finished the book because of its story.

Noteworthy:
If you are into complicated love stories, this book ist for you.

Stuck in my Head:
“I’ll probably just read a book. I’ve got like a million of them in my to-be-read pile.”
What I didn't like:
As I already mentioned, I disliked the protagonist and unfortunately, the book depends on her.

Quick and dirty:
It is not a bad book, but it wasn't a good one either. At least not for me and this is really a pity because the story could have been so good without this flat characters.



Thank you to ...
... Entangled: Teen who gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

No comments :

Post a Comment