Tuesday, July 1, 2014

(Review) Perfected by Kate Jarvik Birch

 
 
Title: Perfected
Author: Kate Jarvik Birch
Pages: 304
Published: July 1, 2014
PublisherEntangled: Teen
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
The publisher offered me an ARC and the cover and the idea behind the story made me interested.
Synopsis:
Perfection comes at a price.
As soon as the government passed legislation allowing humans to be genetically engineered and sold as pets, the rich and powerful rushed to own beautiful girls like Ella. Trained from birth to be graceful, demure, and above all, perfect, these “family companions” enter their masters’ homes prepared to live a life of idle luxury.
Ella is happy with her new role as playmate for a congressman’s bubbly young daughter, but she doesn’t expect Penn, the congressman’s handsome and rebellious son. He’s the only person who sees beyond the perfect exterior to the girl within. Falling for him goes against every rule she knows…and the freedom she finds with him is intoxicating.
But when Ella is kidnapped and thrust into the dark underworld lurking beneath her pampered life, she’s faced with an unthinkable choice. Because the only thing more dangerous than staying with Penn’s family is leaving…and if she’s unsuccessful, she’ll face a fate far worse than death

Cover:
I think, the message behind this cover is great and tells you what the main conflict is about. And it looks pretty, too!

Title:
The title refers to Ella, that that is what she is supposed to be: perfect.

Writing style:
I liked the writing style. It was a nice read and told from first person. Ella is telling her story and you can almost physically feel her naivety. The style is easy-to-read and has an curious undertone (if that makes any sense), which makes it authentic. Time certainly flies while reading it and I couldn't find any lengths.

Characters:
Ella was really, really sweet but it took me some time to connect with her, because her naivety influences her whole character at the beginning. Little by little it became better and at the end, I totally loved her. Penn was a good character too. I liked the fact, that he wasn't too perfect like most guys in YA novels. He has some rough edges as well but his heart at the right place! His sister was sweet too, but she reminded me of the little girl from Beta by Rachel Cohn.

Noteworthy:
The main conflict in this book is about the question "What would happen if we reintroduce slavery in our modern society?". Even if we would imprison them in a golden cage.

Stuck in my Head:
»"Play some Schubert", he mouthed and I smiled, turning back around to face the piano. The music was soft, the sonata in B flat major. It was a beautiful choice, made even lovelier by the fact that Penn had been the one to make me think of it. I didn't even mind that Grant and the congressman kept talking as I played. They didn't even realize what they'd given us, this moment that now belonged to only Penn and me.«
What I didn't like:
Unfortunately, the boos has a lot of similarities with Beta by Rachel Cohn. The reintroduction of slavery, the family constellation, the scenes at the pool ... I always had to keep myself from comparing these two books with each other.

Quick and dirty:
A beautiful cover image, a sweet protagonist, but no new idea. I expected a little bit more. maybe a new direction but this book follows old patterns. Therefore I distract one point. The characters an writing style was very good and completely convinces me and I would recommend this book to my friends and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Thank you to ... 
... Entangled - Teen, who gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

2 comments :

  1. Ooh!! I've always wanted to read this book when I first read it :) It seemed so interesting, and I'm glad that you at least liked it. It seems like a really fun read! Adding it to my TBR! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun read :)
      I was just a little bit disappointed, that the idea was nothing new.

      Delete