Tuesday, July 22, 2014

(Early Review) The Last Changeling by Chelsea Pitcher

 
 
Title: The Last Changeling
Author: Chelsea Pitcher
Pages: 360
Published: November 11, 2014
PublisherFlux
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
I requested it on NetGalley because I like it's cover!
Synopsis:
Elora needs a sacrifice. What she gets is love. Elora, the young princess of the Dark Faeries, plans to overthrow her tyrannical mother, the Dark Queen, and bring equality to faeriekind. All she has to do is convince her mother's loathed enemy, the Bright Queen, to join her cause. But the Bright Queen demands an offering first: a human boy who is a "young leader of men." Enter seventeen-year-old Taylor, an exile in his own home. Unable to forgive himself for the accident that took his little brother's life, he has spent the past year living in the carriage house above his parents' garage to distance himself from his deteriorating family. When Taylor meets Elora, who he believes to be a runaway, he senses a kindred spirit and lets her crash in his room. Elora is overjoyed that she may have found her sacrifice so quickly . . . until she finds herself falling in love with Taylor.

Cover:
I love this cover! It is so beautiful and looks like a fairy tale!

Title:
The title sounds good too. You can guess that it's fantasy book.

Writing style:
Well, honestly, I had a problem with the writing style. The book is written in first person, which I usually like and jumps between Eloras and Taylors point of view. But I didn't like the way, Chelsea Pitcher told there story. It was rather dry...
I also had problems reading my galley because there are a lot of typos in it. Words are split up and letters are missing.

Characters:
Elora is a faery and princess. She wants to lead a rebellion against her mother, the dark queen, because she wants to end the war. But that's easier said than done. She needs help from the bright queen who gives her a riddle and requests a human offering. Elora travels into the human world and meets Taylor. He's a nice guy and offers her to stay in his house which is pretty naive if you ask me! But Tayler desperately wants some friends since he gets bullied at school. Of course, there is also a love story. But it developed slowly and was quit nice.

Noteworthy:
The books main topic is prejustice.

Stuck in my Head:
She turned away.
But Dad grabbed her arm. He looked possessed. »I know you,« he said. I stepped forward, prepared to knock him out if I had to. But Lora pulled herself out of his grip with no trouble at all. »You must've mistaken me for someone else.«
»How do I know you?«
What I didn't like:
I didn't like the writing style

Quick and dirty:
A sweet fairy tale with nice characters but I didn't fell in love with it, because of its writing style.
But if you love faery and love stores, you still should give it a try in November!


Thank you to ... 
... Flux, who gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

No comments :

Post a Comment