Friday, June 13, 2014

(Review) Wings by Elizabeth Richards

 
 
Title: Wings
Author: Elizabeth Richards
Pages: 400
Published: June 12, 2014
PublisherPutnam Juvenile
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
I love the Black City trilogy. Out of question that I had to read the last one too!
Synopsis:
Following the cliffhanger ending of Phoenix, Natalie finds herself separated from Ash and unexpectedly reunited with her parents, including the father she thought was dead. But she can only think of Ash. She hasn't heard a word of him since she and Elijah were brought to the underground headquarters of the Sentry Rebellion. But she vows to find him. Ash, meanwhile is back in Black City; it's the perfect place to hide from the Sentry government. But not for long. He won't give up on Natalie or bringing an end to the terrible reign of Purian Rose.

Cover:
Is it just me or did they get more and more beautiful? I like the cover image of Black City, I love the one of Phoenix. But this one ... this one is just stunning!

Title:
The title fits perfectly. I'm not going to tell you who or what Wings is, but it is a big part of this book.

Writing style:
As always, her writing style is gorgeous. I'm still hoping that they'll publish them in Germany. And if, that they don't mess up the translation. Because I think one of the things, that fascinated me was her way to tell Ash's and Natalie's story. It's what gets you hooked on! There was a lot of sarcastic and ironic humor in the first two books, which isn't the case in Wings, because the whole story gets more dramatic (well, Beetle is as bold as always). But I don't have the feeling, that something is missing. It was cruel sometimes, but authentic.

Characters:
Well, lets start with Ash. I think I'm in love with this character since forever. And it didn't change in Wings. He's just awesome. I admire his way of dealing with difficult situations. He really loves Natalie and is willing to sacrifice a lot. Natalie bugged the hell out of me in Phoenix, but thankfully she came to her senses in Wings. She is willing to accept some help in finding a cure for her illness and stops pushing Ash away. They are a sweet couple and thank god, they've got over there relationship issues.
Oh, I know, you guys are probably thinking right now: What?? What about Elijah?! Yeah, that guy still exists and I still hate and love him at the same time. I'm not going to tell you much but they'll sort it out and stop this stupid triangle love crisis. Elijah changes a lot in this book. He acts more like himself instead to trying to imitate his brothers. I liked the real Elijah a great deal and I'm glad, that he finds his own happy end. It would have been good to see more of Day and Beetle. They weren't in many scenes. Still, Beetle's humor is as good as always and Day's smartness saved them a couple of times. I also liked the fact, that she tries to forgive Ash for dealing drugs back in Black City. You see, the character development is as great as always. We also get introduced to a new character named Edmund. But he is the big secret here, so I'll keep my mouth shut!

Noteworthy:
It is YA but it can be cruel and merciless sometimes.

Stuck in my Head:
»... the radio crackles and Ash's voice rings out over the airwaves, repeating the same message. Sigur's head whips around at the voice. "Was that –?" "Ash, yes!" I grin, briefly explaining everything. My mother's scarlet lips purse together; I think she was secretly hoping he'd stay lost."« (p. 101)
What I didn't like:
The solution came down a bit too easy. I adore this book for being so realistic but the end was too smooth for my taste. And way too many people died ... I was trembling with fear the whole time. But here is the worst: It is over! Of course I'm glad to have read these books, but now I have to say goodbye to Ash and Natalie which is actually really hard!

Quick and dirty:
I didn't expect anything else. Elizabeth Richards created an amazing trilogy which will always have a place on my shelf. Most of the criticisms I had with Phoenix got solved and I wasn't able to put it down! It is a fast-paced read without lengths and it has a beautiful cover! Furthermore, the font is small so the 400 pages lasted a little bit longer. I'm pretty sure, that I haven't read this book for the last time and I'm curious about Elizabeth's next books!


Thank you to ... 
... Elizabeth Richards, who gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

No comments :

Post a Comment