Thursday, June 5, 2014

(Interview) with Sharon M. Draper

 
Author: Sharon M. Draper
Books: Panic

I enjoyed reading Panic and Sharon gave me the opportunity to interview her!
Sonja:
Since when do you write books? 
Sharon:
I have been writing books for young people for over twenty years. I was a teacher for many years before that, so that really helped me relate to youth and their issues.

Sonja:
Was there any special reason for you, to write Panic?
Sharon:
I wrote Panic for several reasons. First, the story of Peter Pan is really not very pleasant, if you think about it.  Someone comes into a room full of children and steals them away in the middle of the night.  That's not a fairy tale--that's an abduction! Also, there are many real-life cases of abductions and child trafficking.  It's sad and horrible and needs to be discussed. 

Sonja:
Did you talk to the police for your research?
Sharon:
No, I didn't talk to police, but I did speak to social workers and lawmakers and others who seek to help those young people caught in this terrible web.

Sonja:
Is der going to be a sequel?
Sharon:
Yes, there will be a sequel. I am working on it this summer.

Sonja:
Do you dance too?
Sharon:
No, I'm not much of a dancer. But my daughter, who owns the dance studio on which Diamond's studio is loosely based,  is a gifted dancer. She just returned from performing in London and Paris.

Sonja:
Was there a scene that you didn’t plan from the beginning and what’s your favorite scene??
Sharon:
I'm not sure if there was a scene I didn't plan, but the scene I like the best is when she uses her dance training and makes that grand jete over the chasm.

Sonja:
Which part was the hardest one to write?
Sharon:
The hardest parts to write were the scenes when Diamond was locked in that room. I wanted readers to understand her pain and misery, but I didn't want to give graphic details.  




Thank you Sharon!

No comments :

Post a Comment