Wednesday, May 7, 2014

(Review) Breakable by Tammara Webber

 
 
Title: Breakable
Author: Tammara Webber
Pages: 448
Published: May 7, 2014
PublisherPenguin
Review Copy: Yes

Why did I want this book?
I love "Easy". Reading "Breakable" was beyond all question!
Synopsis:
As a child, Landon Lucas Maxfield believed his life was perfect and looked forward to a future filled with promise - until tragedy tore his family apart and made him doubt everything he ever believed. All he wanted was to leave the past behind. When he met Jacqueline Wallace, his desire to be everything she needed came so easy... As easy as it could be for a man who learned that the soul is breakable and that everything you hoped for could be ripped away in a heartbeat.

Cover:
Thumbs up that they used the same models as on the first cover image! They really look like the protagonists, which makes it even better.

Title:
The title is well chosen, since it is  not just Lucas who is broken, but his family as well.

Writing style:
I was fascinated by Tammara's writing while reading "Easy". The companion book has the same fluent and captivating style and it was great to see the world through Lucas' eyes. I was already hooked on while reading the prologue. The book is written in the first perspective, so you live through every moment while Lucas wakes up at the hospital, realizing what had happened. It was shocking, even though you know what to expect. The book switches between the old Lucas (Landon) and the current one, who meets Jacky at college. There are a lot of flashbacks about his time after the incidence and his life with the Heller family. It was cool to read some scenes, that we already know because of "Easy" through his eyes.

Characters:
We do have the same protagonists than in the first book. It is just that we are getting to know Lucas better, because the book is written from his point of view. He had a lot of problems back at school, because his family broke apart, and it was hard for him to move on. This explains why he acts the way he does. Of course we have Jacky too. It was interesting to see her trough Lucas, since the first book was written from her perspective. Funny how someone can look so different, when you see them through other peoples' eyes. But I still like Jacky and they are a great couple!

Noteworthy:
I think this is the first love story I have read, that is told from a guy and in first perspective!

Stuck in my Head:
"I had become Harry Potter. Except I was thirteen and not magic, and my destiny, whatever it was, held no profound purpose.
"Spurce it up or not - whatever you'd like. It's just for sleepin' and holdin' your stuff. You aren't obliged to stay in here." People as old as my Grandpa forgot a lot of things, obviously. If he'd have remembered being a teenager, he'd have known we live in our rooms. (p. 47)
What I didn't like:
No complains this time!

Quick and dirty:
I adored "Easy", and "Breakable" was even better! It was new for me to read a love story told by a guy, but it turned out great! Especially the first perspective got me addicted to the pages. I already fell in love with Lucas during the first book, so I was so happy when I heard, that there will be a book about him! A must-read for all "Easy"-fans!

Thank you to ...
... Penguin UK, who gave me this review copy in exchange of a honest review!

4 comments :

  1. Great review. I loved that Harry Potter quote as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes that quote was funny in a sarcastic way :)

      Delete
  2. Easy is one of my favorite New Adult books, so of course I was anxious to read Lucas' side of the story! I have to admit that I didn't like the "Landon" bits (I was a little bored/uneasy), but I adored reading about his stalker-ish tendencies for Jacqueline haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I liked the Landon-Chapters. What I didn't like was the story jumping back and forth in time, because it confused me sometimes ^^, but I wouldn't have had a better idea.
      Hahaha, yes stalker-Lucas was fun „So I did what any normal stalker would do. I looked her up online and found a locked-down profile. Damn." lol.

      Delete