I think that is the question of the day and who knows, maybe we find out today? I love Young Adult books too (surprise, surprise, since I'm reviewing the here lol). But I wouldn't consider myself as a teen anymore since I'm 25-years-old. So why did I get hooked on by them? It's probably the writing style and the topics. If grown ups want to by a book, they have to decide between crime, thriller, love story and so on. If teens by a YA novel, they often get all of that in one book spiced with a great deal of humor! So, I guess that's the secret.
People my age want this too and publishers needed a solution: New Adult!
They do have the same flair than Young Adult books, but deal with issues people in there mid twenties would have.
But are YA and NY really so different? They do have a lot of similarities, but some major differences as well.
- The protagonists are between sixteen and eighteen years old.
- They go to High School
- They deal with issues like relationship-problems, new school, problems with there parents and so on.
- There are rarely some sex scenes in it and if, then they are without any details.
- Most of the female characters are virgins or pretty inexperienced.
- The protagonists are between eighteen and twenty-six years old.
- They go to college or start working.
- They deal with problems like finding an affordable college and apartment, getting a part-time job, starting there own life and living on there own.
- Detailed sex scenes are no problem and most of them already had sex.
- Most of the published books are contemporary love stories.
Personally, I like both genres and you? What do you prefer? I even have some books, I can't put in a category, because they combining features of both.